Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Green New Deal Cost Estimate

The “Green New Deal” (or GND) is the colloquial name of a collection of policy proposals made by Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Senator Ed Markey on February 7, 2019. Pieces of it have been in discussion in Washington D.C. for about 15 years.

Do note that there are solid economic reasons to be opposed to most of this collection of programs, but its political support is quite good. That combination is not unusual.

This is a new cost estimate for the entire program, although I have posted this semester about other estimates in more piecemeal fashion. It comes from the American Action Forum, a Republican-oriented think tank.

Of critical note for this class, the president of this group is Douglas Holtz-Eakin. He was a professor of economics at Syracuse University, specializing in macroeconomics, with an extremely good citation record. Later he served Bush I’s Council of Economic Advisors, was director of the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, and was chief economic advisor of John McCain’s 2008 presidential bid. So, yeah, he’s a Republican, but with a lot of D.C. experience, and definitely more macroeconomic chops than almost everyone else involved in policy-making in D.C. In short, not neutral, but way legit.

And their estimate of net costs is $52.6T to $94.5T over the 2020-2029 decade.

As ballpark figures, all levels of U.S. government combined currently outlay $7T/yr, the Federal government outlays $4T/yr, and the Federal government buys goods and services of roughly $2T/yr.

This is important: I don’t think it’s appropriate in a macroeconomics class to judge policy proposals just by their price tag. I would rather that we didn’t do this at all: either they are

  • a good idea on net no matter what the cost (and should be pursued), or they are
  • a bad idea on net no matter what the cost (and should be avoided).

Having said that, in this case it’s essential to run the numbers. If the U.S. Federal government

  • Stopped buying everything (including salaries of employees) the GND would require spending 26-47 years worth of government in 10.
  • Stopped buying everything and sending checks to people, the GND would require 13-23 years worth of spending in 10.
  • Commanded all levels of all government to stop buying everything and sending checks to people, the GND would require 7-13 years of spending in 10.

Of course, do note that huge classes of things that we spend money on now would not require any spending in the future under this plan, like Medicare, Medicaid, and all welfare programs. Having said that, the GND does not propose eliminating social security or any current government employees … and those two are where most of the money goes.

Again, keep in mind, politicians are known for making policy proposals whose costs and benefits are not well-grounded

Having said that, and I do not like to have to write what follows, but the GND is a unicorn. It’s not merely unrealistic, it’s not feasible, and therefore probably not worthy of further discussion.

This is not a serious proposal from serious people. It’s bait.

3 comments:

  1. .....................................................................................................................................................
    Are you in financial crisis, looking for money to start your own business or to pay your bills?
    I got mine from Mike Fisher. My blank ATM card can withdraw $2,000 daily. I got it from Her last week and now I have $14,000 for free. The blank ATM withdraws money from any ATM machines and there is no name on it, it is not traceable and now i have money for business and enough money for me and my family to live on .

    GET YOUR BLANK ATM CREDIT CARD AT AFFORDABLE PRICE
    *They sell this cards to all customers and interested buyers worldwide,the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $2000 to $5000 and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores and unlimited on POS.*

    *email: blankatm156@gmail.com
    *you can also call or whatsapp us Contact us today for more enlightenment
    +1(301) 329-5298

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Lost my Money to scammers but not anymore

    Well, who would have believed this. When I saw a comment

    by one Allison babara, I thought it was one of the Scammers

    ways to convince someone. Looking at his comment, I saw

    an element of doubt since he was telling stories. Well I did it

    50/50 which means I can’t lose my money to any scammer

    again. I contacted the email on the testimony of Allison?

    Babara securehackers01@gmail.com and I was

    replied immediately. I was shocked but I didn’t lose my stand.

    I asked them to give me proof to be sure they are not

    scammers like others that I have met before and they sent me

    a proof. Then I requested to get my card which they sent to

    me in Germany in just 3 days. Am happy now because I have?

    recovered my cash I lost to scammers. My first withdrawal?

    was $10,000 and I couldn’t believe my eyes until I confirmed?

    their word which says that I can withdraw up $63,000 in a

    month. secureblankatmSolution? are real because I got my?

    card in just 3 days when I requested for one. Contact their

    mail (securehackers01@gmail.com ) for yours. They

    didn’t scam me.

    Morris mabel is my name and if you are scared, please reach

    me through my mail dasinator02@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Viewers Get your Blank ATM card that works in all ATM machines all over the world.. We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be used to hack ATM machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at stores and POS. We sell this cards to all interested buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $10,000 on ATM and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card you order for, we are here for you anytime, any day. Email; (blankatm156@gmail.com ) I'm grateful to Mike because he changed my story all of a sudden . The card works in all countries except, contact him now (blankatm156@gmail.com )

    ReplyDelete