Tuesday, August 18, 2020

More Colleges

University of Notre Dame: 58 cases

Bethel College: 46 cases ... roughly 10% of the student body

Troy State: 40 cases

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (where my old friend BL is a finance professor): attempting to contact trace a positive test that attended an off campus party

University of Alabama written up in The Washington Post for open bars on The Strip (this brought back memories of the before times, as I recall being a young faculty member after a football game in 1990 in one of the locations shown in photographs from this past weekend ... makes me glad I'm now an older professor in a tamer college town); University of North Georgia too.

************************************

Honestly ... I'm feeling like some of these numbers could have been a lot worse. I do feel like it's clear-headed to realize there are going to be some cases. The real problem, and colleges are just like other hotspots, is when a growing epidemic exceeds fixed capacity allocated to deal with it.

The thing I worry about is the domino effect of shutdowns. In the spring, very few people were imagining colleges shutting down until the University of Washington did. Within about 3 weeks of that, they were all closed.


No comments:

Post a Comment